Why you should wear your stethoscope out in public.
1. You will look a pretentious twit. But before you cry out, consider the model of socialization familiar to first year and anyone cramming for final exams. Acting like a doctor is a crucial step to becoming a doctor, and House and Dr Greys are doctors who are also pretentious. Therefore, in order to become a doctor, you must wear your stethoscope out in public.
2. Doctors get upgraded to business class when flying. How else will the flight attendants be aware of your pending-doctor status if you don't wear you pink color steth?
3. There's scope for, ahem, role playing.
4. Think of the pick-up lines. "Excuse me encik, you just made my heart skip a beat. Care to hear?" or "I'm offering free health checks to all attractive male, and you most certainly qualify."
5. If you plan on going into surgery or psychiatry, this may be the only opportunity you get to wear your stethoscope. How many surgeons have you seen wear stethoscope on ward rounds?
6. "Stand back, I'm a doctor" sounds much more impressive if you look like one. And no one will question your doctor qualifications if you are wearing a stethoscope.
7. It's a great party trick. You can conduct full cardiovascular examinations on your friends. Not only do they get free healthcare, but it makes you seem super intelligent because you can tell them that their hearts are normal.
8. Eavesdropping. Forget holding glasses up to walls or casting listening charms -- if your friends are having a super secret conversation next door, you can simply hold your stethoscope to the wall and listen to all the dirty gossip.
9. It's great revision for clinical exams. If you're wearing your stethoscope on a long train trip back from the country, imagine how many times you can listen to your heart and lungs. You'll be a pro at identifying normal breath sounds by the end of it and you can always practice on the other passengers too. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.
10. Hitting someone with a stethoscope hurts. Therefore, wearing your stethoscope on those long walks between hospitals, market, and you house area means you always have a weapon on hand should should you find yourself in less-than-pleasant company.
Please note, this is an entirely facetious list. Don't wear your stethoscope outside the hospital, please.